Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Sloppy Janes

Traditionally, a Sloppy Jane is made with ground turkey. It is the same thing as a Sloppy Joe, only healthier. However, I wanted to make a chicken version that my nine year old could do. She is a simple girl that likes simple food. This isn't fancy by any stretch of the imagination. Just good family food.

Also, I braised the meat using my "magic pot" ( enamel coated cast iron Dutch oven). However, I'm guessing that although it wouldn't be as tasty as braised, cooking on low all day in the crock pot would work too.

Warning: this is SLOPPY and a mess to eat...albeit a yummy mess.

Sloppy Jane-serves 6 healthy portions

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can sloppy Joe mix
1 cup chicken broth

Dump everything into a Dutch oven or crock pot.
Cook at 300F for three hours, or all day on low in the crock pot. If you can cook it longer, it only gets yummier. 
Remove meat from sauce, shred, and return to sauce.
Stir and let sit 10 min to reabsorb juices.



Those that know me know I'm obsessed with making regular meals more healthy. I served this on a whole wheat bun. I also add a swirl of mustard and some shredded cheese.

Paper plates...I'm all for "save the trees", but even more for "save the momma"....

-Kendra 

No comments:

Post a Comment