Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Cabbage and Apple side dish


Apples and Cabbage

This is a cheap side dish that in my own mind goes well with pork. The following recipe serves my family of six....but they are voracious eaters. Cut everything by half for a "normal" family. It makes a lot.

I don't know where this came from...my German heritage or my Southern roots....or a combo of them both. Either way, it is a good way to use up apples that are getting old and a cabbage you forgot.

4 small Fuji apples, diced....I leave the skin on
1 small head purple cabbage, shredded
1 cup applesauce
2 cups water
2 Tbs orange juice concentrate

1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground cardamom
1 pinch kosher salt
1 pinch ground nutmeg

Before cooked

After cooked

Combine applesauce, water, concentrate, and spices in a big pot. Toss in apples and cabbage. Cook on low about an hour or until apples and cabbage are soft and a nice sauce forms.

I'm betting this would be a good crock pot side, but I've never tried it in a crock pot. I'm guessing just throw it in and cook on low for two to four hours. Let me know if you try it.

-Kendra 

No comments:

Post a Comment